Business Development Manager, In Vivo Services, East & Midwest Region
The Jackson Laboratory | Philadelphia / New York / Washington, DC
Business Development Manager, In Vivo Services, East & Midwest Region
Reporting to the Director, North America Opportunity Development and working closely with the Associate General Manager, Clinical & In Vivo Services, this role is responsible for increasing revenue generated from In Vivo Services products and services. This position requires a high-level of expertise in the utilization of the mouse as a platform for preclinical biomedical and drug discovery research and in the solutions provided by the Laboratory to solve research problems, with emphasis on oncology. The role interacts with decision makers at Pharma, Biotech, and academic institutions and throughout the Lab to secure high value projects that leverage the science of the Lab and contribute to our mission.
This role provides management and oversight that includes developing business development plans, implementation of plans, and reporting of results to JMCRS stakeholders. Measures of success include revenue performance versus established targets and accepted projects (won opportunities – new and renewed) and expanding the market share of the Lab by increasing the number of commercial accounts/customers. Additionally, this role will work closely with the ODM regional territory managers as a scientific and technical resource with the primary objectives of developing, refining and implementing strategy for accounts/targets of high strategic value to the Laboratory.
In addition, this role has responsibility for successfully identifying and closing opportunities independently or collaboratively with regional Opportunity Development Managers that position JMCRS as a preferred scientific partner, increasing market-share, leveraging the science of the Lab, and contributing to our mission.
- Meet or exceed the financial goal(s) for preclinical In Vivo services delivered by the Lab by working in a collaborative manner with the Associate General Manager, Clinical & In Vivo Services, Opportunity Development regional managers, Marketing and other internal teams throughout the organization.
- Execute a successful business development strategy that increases market share for competitive product and service offerings at key commercial and academic accounts.
- Independently identify, assemble and present creative business development solutions that result in large awarded studies and deep scientific relationships with clients.
- Proactively identify new customers, especially high-level commercial contacts, and provide solutions that create long standing relationships to address their unique needs.
- Proactively maintain Salesforce.com - database with updated customer information as well as updated pipeline information on all business opportunities.
- Serve as the primary In Vivo technical and scientific expert in the field. Use this knowledge to assist in the refinement of strategies and tactical approaches throughout all territories. Master and deliver product presentations in the field.
- Travel with regional Opportunity Development Managers to ensure their tactical approach is aligned with overall BU strategy and assist in providing product and service specific training and expertise to improve their technical competency.
- Actively seek, analyze and communicate market trends, intelligence and competitor information to management. Work with BUMs, Marketing and Opportunity Development Managers to respond rapidly to changing markets and strategize new approaches for improving revenue performance.
- Demonstrate commitment to creating a high-performance culture and positive work environment including continued effort toward improving the customer experience, coping with and supporting change, commitment to a solution driven approach to problem solving, and embracing leadership opportunities.
- BS in the biomedical sciences required and an advanced degree in Science or Business is preferred.
- 4+ years of demonstrated success developing scientific business opportunities. Demonstrated ability to develop, initiate and execute complex business strategies and to develop significant new accounts.
- Experience with selling In Vivo services.
- Demonstrated technical and scientific expertise relevant to the sale and support of JMCRS products and services.
- Advanced interpersonal skills sufficient for developing complex, dynamic relationships with a diverse variety of individuals representing a broad cross-section of cultures, disciplines and senior business managers.
- Ability to make important decisions carrying large financial consequences, often under some pressure and tight time deadlines.
- Ability to effectively persuade and influence the thinking of others through social and verbal interactions and presence.
- Must possess valid driver’s license and satisfactory driving record.
- Ability to travel up to 60%.
The Jackson Laboratory, (JAX, www.jax.org) is a nonprofit biomedical research institute with over 1,800 employees whose mission is to discover precise genomic solutions for human disease and empower the global biomedical community in the shared quest to improve human health. JAX’s research facility in Bar Harbor, Maine is a National Cancer Institute-designated Cancer Center and a world-renowned expert in mammalian genetics. JAX also has facilities in Sacramento, California, and The Jackson Laboratory for Genomic Medicine in Farmington, Connecticut. JAX was voted among the top 15 “Best Places to Work in Academia” in the United States in a poll conducted by The Scientist magazine!
JAX employees work in a collaborative, value-driven and team-based environment where the focus is on advancing science and improving patients’ lives. Researchers apply genetics to increase the understanding of human disease and advance treatments and cures for cancer, neurological and immune disorders, diabetes, aging and heart disease.
INTEGRITY - Courage and commitment to do what is right
PEOPLE - Inspiring our people to enhance the health of all
ONE TEAM - Unified by our promise to transform medicine and science
EXCELLENCE - Achieving world-class results
INNOVATION - Leading with discovery and creative solutions
STEWARDSHIP - Caring for and enhancing the resources entrusted to us
What do we have to offer?
JAX offers a dynamic and supportive work environment, competitive salaries and a comprehensive benefits package including a medical plan, outstanding retirement plan, generous paid time off and tuition reimbursement. JAX offers an MBA program, a fitness center with an award winning wellness program, and a fully operational primary care facility available to employees and their families.
Most importantly, every position contributes to JAX’s mission of discovering precise genomic solutions for human disease and empowering the global biomedical community in our shared quest to improve human health.
The Jackson Laboratory provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment in all job classifications without regard to race, color, religion, age, mental disability, physical disability, medical condition, gender, sexual orientation, genetic information, ancestry, marital status, national origin, veteran status, and other classifications protected by applicable state and local non-discrimination laws.
Learn more about at opportunities at JAX at http://www.jax.org/careers